IN THE KITCHEN: FRENCH LENTIL SALAD RECIPE


I just developed a love for lentils. I never disliked them before but never made them often. This all changed when I had the lentil salad at Le Pain Quotidien a few weeks ago. Every time I eat there it is usually during the early hours so breakfast is on the table. Recently, I was there for lunch and experienced perfection that is this salad. After coming home, I vowed to try creating my own version. This is my interpretation and I must admit, it is delicious!

Ingredients:

1 bunch of arugula
1 cup of French Le Puy lentils (or any lentils you have on hand)
1 whole onion, chopped into large pieces
1 turnip, cut into large pieces
1 cup of chickpeas
1 carrots, peeled and shredded
sunflower seeds
avocado
cilantro
lemon
thyme

Directions:

Place the lentils and 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add onion, thyme (a few sprigs) and turnip pieces and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, lower the head and simmer for 20 minutes.  When tender, drain the lentils and remove onion and turnip pieces. Let cool.

Add dressing (below) to cooled lentils. Pile arugula, chopped carrots and chickpeas on plate. Top with lentils. Top with sunflower seeds, avocado and/or cilantro and squeeze with lemon. Enjoy!

Dressing:

1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
salt and pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon

Add all ingredients together, except olive oil. Slowly add oil while whisking to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 4


1 comment

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this! Just had this salad and had the same thought as I was finishing it - need to make it at home!