The best indoor plants for indirect sunlight


I have been looking for an indoor tree to add to our dining area. Preferably, it will be tall and easy to maintain (read: something I cannnot easily kill). It seems that all of the indoor plants I like are for well-lit areas of the home and my dining area is lacking direct sunlight.

My dining area is small like the image above but it has a similar wall color and I love the pop of bright green against the gray. Last week I stopped by my local garden center and was able to chat about what types of plants may work in my space. First up, the plants that I love (at least the looks of) that need direct sunlight to survive indoors.


First up, the fiddle leaf fig tree. This is an indoor plant that needs lots of light. Unfortunately, I have no windows close enough that will help this plant survive in my home (unless I move it to another spot which I am not willing to do). This tree is used in countless homes seen in shelter magazines today and honestly, if I had the light, I am not sure I would even buy one. It cannot be the only good-looking indoor tree, right? For this reason, I kept my eyes on other trees while shopping and happened to love the looks of the ficus tree.


When I started searching for images I realized Mr. Thom Filica uses the ficus tree in many of his spaces. When I asked the woman helping me about this tree, she mentioned that it works the same as the fiddle leaf fig and needs lots of bright sunlight.

Score: indoor plants - 2, Emily - 0.

Clearly, I was in the wrong section of the store and was graciously led to the low-light trees that I can maintain in a darker corner. Ideally, I am looking for a taller plant with a nice trunk and some smaller leaves. The ficus would be ideal (if only I could throw a window in my dining area).


I have not yet brought a tree home yet but I am now thinking of the green schefflera, as seen in the image above. Two things sold me on this plant. One is the fact that I can cut back the branches if it begins to get too large. The second benefit is that it will hold up in areas of the house that get indirect sunlight; perfect for my dining area. Here is the one I am debating going back to purchase.


Do you have any great options for indoor trees that survive in low-lit areas? If so, I would love any recommendations!

1/2/3/4/5

3 comments

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

The Fiddle leaf fig doesn't need alot of light or water! It is pretty hardy if you leave it alone. I have overwatered one and lost it, but it came back and now I barely water it and it's growing like crazy.
xo Nancy

Emily said...

Nancy that is soo good to hear! I ended up with the schefflera so hopefully I can keep it alive!

LindsB said...

I have a hard time with plants and light too. I just bought a fiddle leaf fig and I leave it alone and talk nice to it- I hope it lasts longer than my last living plant :)