Friday Fare: Warm Veggie Bowl


I love a good salad. It has now been 12 years since I became a vegetarian (and I eat seafood every now and then) and I have never looked back. My normal diet consists of many salads and there comes a time when I need to be creative to avoid eating the same thing again and again.  The last few times I have visited Boston I have been able to eat at Life Alive. Seriously, this place could be the main reason I end up back in Beantown someday. Their salads are INCREDIBLE and last time I was there I vowed to try and recreate a warm veggie bowl when I got home. So I did just that, and think I came pretty close to the flavorful salads that I cannot wait to have when I get to visit again. 

This salad takes a little bit of time but I had enough veggies to makes me a salad that lasted a few days. I highly recommend trying this if you are a vegetarian, vegan, or just someone who loves a good salad! Feel free to add or substitute any of your favorite veggies for this dish.

Ingredients:

2 small/1 large beet
1 small crown of broccoli
2 ears of corn or 1/2 of a bag (frozen)
1/2 bunch of kale and/or spinach
1/2 cup of quinoa
1/4 cup chopped almonds (I used tamari)

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the beet(s) in tinfoil with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40-60 minutes, or until soft enough to cut. While beets are cooking, heat 1 cup of water over medium-high heat. Once the water boils, add quinoa, cover and remove from heat. 

Clean all other vegetables and chop into small pieces.   

Heat a skillet and add a tablespoon of oil. Throw in chopped broccoli for 5-7 minutes. Add corn and finally kale, until all vegetables are warmed. Season with salt and pepper.

When finished, go back to the beets when they are cool enough to remove the skins (wear gloves or opt for purple hands) and chop into small pieces.  

When all ingredients are ready, take quinoa and add to a bowl. Layer with vegetables and finally, chopped almonds. Add dressing and enjoy!  

*Makes approximately 3 salads.

Dressing:

I used this recipe and it is delicious!




No comments