Shaded

As if the sweltering heat of summer is not enough, I managed to catch a cold the past few days. While I am happy to feel like myself again, being under the weather was a great excuse to start season 1 of The West Wing.  I have to admit, this is my new favorite show. Where the heck was I when it aired live? I feel as though I have been totally in the dark but now I am mesmerized by the characters when we watch an episode or two every night. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we live close to our nations capital, or it's the prior degree in International Relations that sucked me in.  Either way, I am officially hooked.

One of my favorite aspects, other than the characters, is the set design. I am in love with the offices and the "White House". Perfectly imperfect offices maintain a classic look while everyone is working around the clock.  The lighting in each room (other than the Oval Office) is fairly dim and table lamps with black shades are apparent in each scene. In my opinion, dark lampshades are not used enough in today's interiors.  


(It was not easy to find pictures but this one has an example of the table light)

Here are a few additional examples of some gorgeous lamps used by Albert Hadley and Thomas O'Brien.



The table lamps above do not steal the show but give off just enough light. It is important to remember that these lights not serve as general lighting but as ambient or task lighting. Let the lamps remain the decoration! Here are some lights I deem worthy, not just for the "White House", but your own home.

1* / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9

*No longer available but I love this sconce!

Following the West Wing theme, a recent issue of Architectural Digest featured the office of Aaron Sorkin, an executive producer of the show.  Designed by Martyn Lawrence Bullard, the office is both traditional and masculine.  I love the soft roman shades paired with the leather club chairs and striped grasscloth on the walls. 







No comments