Design Topic: Fabrics en suite

When I flipped through the new Architectural Digest, the home decorated by Miles Redd stopped me dead in my tracks. The bedroom, while displaying a prominent pattern, is refreshing and evoked thoughts of vacation and leisure.


Lately it seems as though pattern is making a significant comeback in interiors. This months' House Beautiful even has a gorgeous home done by Ashley Whitaker that packs a punch with color and pattern.  Normally one to shy away from extensive, prominent pattern, I find myself looking for ways to incorporate it in my own home. 

The idea of using the same fabric on upholstery, walls and window treatments is known as fabrics en suite. This style of decorating has been used for years and is clearly being revived in more homes today.  To take a look at how the trend has evolved, we can never forget the master himself, and this image below of Diana Vreeland in her home by Billy Baldwin.  This is a prime example of fabrics en suite.


 Following is another example of fabrics en suite displaying Charlotte Moss' genius.


Sister Parish also had a talent for decorating with pattern and this room done with Albert Hadley is fun and whimsical. 


Today's designers employ this theme in new and fresh ways that work.  Katie Ridder designed the room below that is a fit for every girl. 


 Daniel Romualdez is an architect who effortlessly used the fabric below to create a space where anyone would feel welcome as a guest.


Finally, a design maven twice-over, Tory Burch utilizes fabrics en suite in two of her homes.  The dining room is a cheerful blue and white, using lots of pattern that offsets the simple, modern furnishings.


Her home in the Hamptons also employs this style and I am in love with the iznik print window treatments. Everything she wears and lives in is so chic!


What are your thoughts on fabrics en suite? Too much or making a comeback?










1 comment

LindsB said...

I like it!! I mean I would not want a whole house done like this, but I think a guest room would be the perfect place for this style!