Do you prefer neutrals or brights?

I read this great article in the Wall Street Journal this weekend which makes a case against using color in the home. There were even quotes from Miles Redd, the man that knows how to work color, stating that he had a client recently who wanted a calm home. He instead focused on shapes, paint and textures to make the home come together. Even Celerie Kemble's soon-to-be-released book, Black and White, was mentioned. Did you know that it may be easier to find your interior design style by cutting back on color?

As I read the article I began to think about how I am drawn to more neutral interiors, especially in my own home. Although I love dreaming about grand rooms with many hues that marry together in the perfect way, I prefer warmer colors with lots of texture. It's taken me almost a year to decide this one little truth which has made decorating my home quite a task. Here are some of the inspiration shots I return to again and again when I keep thinking about putting my home together.




Source: None via Emily on Pinterest







This isn't to say I've given up on color altogether. I think I have fall weather to blame for this right now since I find all of these spaces so cozy just as the weather begins to get cooler. So tell me, do you prefer a room with few colors and lots of texture, or all out brights?

18 comments

Stephanie Sabbe said...

both! that's why I design for other people. I can do both:)

Dressed said...

I love them both. You can always add colorful accents to an all white room

Interior Design said...

The chandelier in the bedroom is beautiful.

Jenny Muslin said...

I like neutrals with a pop of color. Although, there is something so serene about a neutral palette. Love your blog! Muzz Haves

designchic said...

I love neutrals so if I want to add color it's easy with pillows and accents, but right now I love it neutral...

Jaclyn said...

A neutral room always look so pretty, like a big white hotel bed or neutral furniture, but i do love a pop of color to balance it.

Dana {Southern Inspired} said...

That's interesting! I am definitely drawn to neutrals for some reason. I like color when other people use it, but I guess I'm a little timid when it comes to color in my own space. Hope you're having a great week!

angelo h said...

This post was so creative, and stylish! Beautiful designing every rooms. Really enjoyed looking. :)

makati condominiums

special 'k' said...

Thank you ever so much for sharing so we could all enjoy! I am so glad I found your special place here. I will follow on my way out so as I would love to visit again. I hope you will find the time to come visit my place and do the same. Best wishes for some happy holiday time. I look forward to engaging and supporting your blog in the New Year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

designchic said...

I lean to neutrals as I love the serene, calm feeling they evoke, but I've seen some beautiful colorful rooms lately that I love!! Thrilled to find and follow your blog ~

Secret Dream World of Fe said...

I've always loved warm palettes for interiors, basically tones that give a sense of comfort. I hate anything too bright or too fancy. They give me headaches.

Kellie Collis said...

Love them both because it is very easy to throw in color and change it anytime. These images are fabulous! Have a beautiful day, Kellie xx

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

THe perfect combination of the two is definitely what makes a space more dynamic. I have to say I tend to also go towards neutrals with a pop of color, although I am not afraid to do the opposite in small areas. Great blog, come visit mine whenever you can :)

Barbara

pretty pink tulips said...

Loving all the photos you've pulled for inspiration.

I, too, am drawn to neutrals with texture or accessories bringing in the color. I just find it more calming.

Love the waterworks sink you showed in an earlier post. I'm renovating our laundry room and wish I had seen this before I bought mine! Amazing!!

xo Elizabeth

Secret Dream World of Fe said...

Neutrals of course, especially for interior design. Don't you think it'll get you a bit dizzy to have all those bold colors on the walls. Neutral palette somehow gives this serene soothing feeling...

inredningsvis.se said...

JUST LOVELY PICS:) I really like your blog...so much nice inspiration.
I wish you a great weekend:)

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

Kellie Collis said...

Lovely home! I think I'd like neutrals more. Have a fabulous day, Kellie xx

LindsB said...

Hey lady where are you these days???