Some updates and a recipe!

Lately I have been trying to reorganize the new home while working. My spare time has me running to the DMV, Social Security office and Lowe's. Who knew getting married and changing your name was so time consuming? Seriously no fun at all. Our new home is coming together but we have a LONG way to go. On top of that I think every single time I go out and drive I get lost but I now have the route to the grocery store and the nearby mall down to a science! Other than that, I am loving married life and could not be happier!

As you can tell I have taken a bit of a hiatus here. This brings about some good and some bad news. Let's start with the bad news, shall we?

I have no great photos to post yet of the honeymoon or the wedding. Why? Well, my computer AND my camera cords are at my parents house. I am impatiently patiently awaiting their arrival with an upcoming visit so you will be bombarded with photos at that time. In the meantime, I appreciate all of your patience too.

Now for the good news. I have been getting into my new kitchen gadgets and am finally able to cook and bake again! This past weekend I surprised the hubby with one of his favorite dinners and although I haven't tried it (I am a vegetarian so cooking anything with meat shows my true love here) I have gotten some praise. That dinner was Mini Chicken Pot Pies (because they are way cuter than one pie of course)!








*Excuse the iPhone pics but you get the idea

Mini Chicken Pot Pies

Ingredients:
1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups shredded chicken (I just boiled 2 chicken breasts so I could shred easily)
2 cups root vegetables (I used a frozen bag of carrots, corn and green bean mixture)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 sage leaves
1 large egg white, beaten

1)  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4 rounds to fit over ovenproof bowls. Keep pastry covered and chilled.
2)  Heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat; add flour, and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute.  Add the milk in a slow stream while whisking constantly; bring the mixture to a simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in next 6 ingredients (through pepper).  Spoon mixture into ovenproof bowls. Top bowls with pastry, pressing against the outside edge to seal.  Place sage leaf on top of pastry, and brush with egg white.
3)  Back pot pies on a baking sheet for 17 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.

This recipe was easy and mine look almost exactly like the picture. I ripped this out of a magazine a long time ago and I'm not sure where it's from but I want to say Self Magazine. 

7 comments

Megan said...

Moving is always so stressful and add that onto just getting back from a honeymoon and the holidays you've got a recipe for a whirlwind couple of weeks, however, it will all get better soon! Can't wait to see what you're doing the place!

LindsB said...

Come on, you dont have ONE photo of you and your dress to post?!? I have been DYING HERE hahahaha

We miss you already up here :(

Stephanie Sabbe said...

name changing is the worst! wait till you get all your 401K stuff going, terrible. I probably still have money under Stephanie Frye that I will never be able to access.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

welcome back to some regular posting! :) hope to see pics soon!

Arianna Belle {Organized Interiors} said...

I hear ya on the name changing thing! Seriously, they should make it a little less difficult and confusing! lol

-Arianna

p.s. nice to meet a fellow vegetarian! :)

http://ariannabelle.blogspot.com

LindsB said...

Where are our wedding pics?? this is torture :)

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

Love Linds' comments here.

Miss you Emily! These look delicious. I had a pot pie yesterday at a cafe on Newbury, I think you inspired me!