A Holiday Treat

This weekend I went to a holiday party at my aunt's house. My mom comes from a big family and all the sisters began this holiday party years ago. Everyone brings and appetizer or dessert and this year I decided to try something festive. I'm a huge fan of Bakerella and figured I would try and make some cake pops. After seeing these recently I decided to tackle them on my own. Okay, so they took a bit of trial and error and aren't perfect, but in my opinion, they came out pretty cute! Excuse the poor photos; I forgot my camera so had to use my iPhone.







The recipe is below if anyone is interested!

Ingredients:
1 box of cake mix (for these I used a dark chocolate mix)
1 canister of cream cheese frosting
1 package of white chocolate chips
lollipop sticks (I found mine at A.C. Moore)
Edible markers (I tried frosting but the orange marker worked best for the noses)

To Make:
Make the cake and let cool completely. Once it's cool, crumble into pieces in a large mixing bowl. Next, take the cream cheese frosting and mix it in with the cake (I used a spoon then resorted to using my hands). Once this is mixed thoroughly, cover and refridgerate. I kept mine in about 3 hours but I have read you can leave it in the fridge for a few days as well. Once cooled, shape into balls and add to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Add the popsicle sticks and add to freezer.

Once frozen, melt white chocolate chips (I used the microwave but you can also double boil to melt) and dip each stick in to coat completely. Add back to cookie sheet and put back in freezer. I left these in overnight and decorated the next day.

To Decorate:
I tried using the black edible marker for the eyes and mouth but found they kept smudging. Instead, melt chocolate chips and use a toothpick to create the eyes and mouth. Afterwards, I used the orange edible marker to add the noses.

They aren't perfect but went over well at the party and these pops are actually delicious!

11 comments

Julie said...

Those are SO CUTE! I have to copy!

Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...

Those are just tooo cute! My family would love those, as well as the little girls I babysit for! They love treats but ones that are Christmasy are even better! Thanks!

Beth Gales said...

Very nice job! Festive and fun! Sounds like a fun time, too.

Design Esquire said...

WOW! They look great! You did a fabulous job.

Deliciously Organized said...

They are so cute! I made some {well the cupcake ones} a while back. I didn't realize how much work they are to make. Did you feel the same way? I might need to try these though...

Jaime said...

So cute- great job! I bet they were delish :)

Blair said...

Those are just adorable!

Haven and Home said...

Oh wow! Those look great! I am so impressed!

Loving Life in Southern California! said...

wow! these are cool! I'm going to try them at our ugly christmas sweater party next weekend! Cute blog! following you now!

Rebecca said...

I just stumbled across your blog - these little snowmen are so adorable! Thanks for sharing :) I'm excited to follow your blog - I think it is fabulous!

LindsB said...

I would like to stuff 10 of these in my mouth right now- YUM!