My Summer Home

While visiting Newport, the BF and I went on a tour of The Breakers’ mansion. As one of the most famous mansions to tour, it was considered a summer home to the Vanderbilt family. Now, after touring the gigantic rooms I can only wonder what their main home looked like if this one was the summer home.

Now if the outside of the home isn't enough, can you imagine having to sit down in this room for dinner? Rumor has it the ladies changed clothes up to 7 times a day and I can just see myself now with a pile of things on the floor thinking "I have nothing to wear to dinner tonight".


Cornelius Vanderbilt II (President of the New York Central Railroad) purchased the home in 1885. Since it was not all that he had imagined he called upon Richard Morris Hunt to build a villa there in 1893 since the original home was destroyed in a fire. Cornelius insisted the new home would not burn down (the prior home being built of wood) and so The Breakers’ construction began. This villa has 70 rooms and only took a mere two years to build. I am pretty sure that it takes more than two years to build your average home these days but apparently Richard Morris Hunt called upon the right team. Although I could not take pictures of the inside, you’ll have to believe me when I tell you it was MAGNIFICENT! Just to think about the work put into this and the way these families lived in the 1800’s is amazing, from the detail in every single room, all the way to a fountain (delivered from Europe) behind the master staircase.

Richard Morris Hunt was an amazing architect and you can learn more about him here. He was also the master behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art, among other notable buildings although it was his famous connections that led him to Newport.

(Images via my camera and New England Antiques Journal)

No comments